Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Patapon

PataponImage via WikipediaMy husband showed me a very interesting game called "Patapon" on his PSP. The game is based on the ancient method of using drumbeats to herd warriors in battle. You are the Goddess of the Patapons and must provide drumbeats that will guide them to victory. Does that sound really lame?? I thought so too until my husband showed me the game. Aside from the game play, I love the graphics of this game. It is a 2d game, but this is complementary to the shadowpuppet style of the game's characters and sets. Everything is viewed in profile as if in an Egyptian painting.

To play the game, the user must drum out different beats using the four PSP buttons. I watched my husband doing this thinking,"hmmm...looks like a pre-schooler could do it." Well, not really. The drum beats are guiding the Patapons. That means that you have to have the right drum beat to get them to move forwards, to attack or to defend. Not only do you have to use the right drum beat, but you have to do it with rhythm.

It's pretty challenging to make judgments about the next action to take while trying to stay on the beat with the right song. The musical element of this game was very enjoyable and challenging. A warning: if you have a dog, this game may make your dog crazy.

No comments: