Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Okami

The cover art for ŌkamiImage via Wikipedia

There are a few games that have mesmerized me as I have watched my husband play them. He played Okami on the PS3, and I loved watching it. All of the art is based on ink brush painting and in order to progress through the game you have to draw shapes that translate to actions.

Okami is an action-adventure based game. The user plays the character of the wolf trying to rid the world of evil. Wikipedia says that action-adventure games are the broadest genre of computer game. This genre originated from the game Adventure.

Okami has been ported to the Wii, so I gave it a try. Most of the 1st hour that I played was spent on the back story and some training. I think I complained about this when I was playing trace memory, but I hate clicking through stories. I would rather read a comic book or scroll through a couple of paragraphs. I've been told that there is a lot of clicking through dialog in Okami...boooring!!

The drawing is more challenging than I thought it would be, but it is an interesting way to play a game. Okami's reliance on the Wii's Nunchuk betrays it's previous life as a PS2 game. The only real use the game makes of the WiiMote is for the drawing, but that's enough for me. Hopefully when the "3 games a week" phase of my life is over, I can come back to Okami.

And now for a word from Marlena's Soapbox:
What is it about video games and boobs???? I was really enjoying the beginning to Okami when they introduce this goddess. I have never EVER seen a classial depiction of a Japanese lady without her being very modestly dressed. This particular goddess had the most bizarre cleavage I've ever seen...ok, fine. I know that in the world of video games, all women are supposed to be an F cup size, but the real killer here is that she shakes the wolf's companion OUT OF HER BOOBS. WTF^2! This type of thing is SO TIRING to me, and was particularly out of place at this moment, and especially in this game.
Zemanta Pixie

No comments: